Medical care is a part of life, and affordable health insurance can help you avoid high, unexpected costs. It provides you and your family with financial security while allowing you to receive access to preventive services. The sheer amount of information can be confusing and overwhelming as you examine various providers and plans. Simplify the process by narrowing your focus on the essential pros and cons of each insurer.
Here are three providers of the most affordable health insurance in Hawaii.
1. United Healthcare
United Healthcare offers a range of individual and family insurance plans underwritten by Golden Rule Insurance Co. Residents of Hawaii can purchase a range of supplemental insurance plans that fit their needs.
- Health Protector Guard (HPG) costs vary by patient demographics and plan choice.
- Premier and Preferred plans tend to be more expensive than Choice and Select programs.
- Interested customers must input their personal information to gain an accurate price assessment.
- Offers hospital and doctors’ insurance through its HPG program.
- Includes supplemental vision and dental insurance. These have no age restrictions or limits.
- Also offers Accident Pro and Critical Illness insurance.
- Provides information on available Medicaid and Medicare programs.
- Does not offer standard medical insurance — it only provides a fixed-benefit insurance plan.
- Prices vary greatly based on patient demographics.
2. Kaiser Foundation Health Plan Inc.
Kaiser Permanente Hawaii is one of the two largest health insurance providers in Hawaii. It provides a wide range of plans spanning different levels and tiers. This insurer has over 600 physicians and providers offering extensive coverage.
- Estimated costs differ based on plan choice and patient demographics.
- A detailed breakdown of fees, deductibles and premiums is shown after providing the customer’s date of birth, gender and smoking history.
- Low-income individuals and families may qualify for Charitable Health Coverage (CHC). This program offers a subsidy to help pay monthly premiums and out-of-pocket costs.
- Plan summaries are extensive and clear, which makes comparison simple.
- The medical plans include dental services.
- The website is easy to navigate.
- Offers Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum plans.
- Discusses Medicaid and Medicare health care options.
- Must list personal information and the number of dependents before receiving accurate estimates.
- Many plans have high deductibles and premiums.
- Plan summary includes considerable detail, which may overwhelm customers.
3. Hawaii Medical Service Association (HMSA)
Hawaii Medical Service Association (HMSA) is part of the federal exchange and is one of the state’s two largest health insurance providers. HMSA joined the BlueCross BlueShield Association in the 1990s, so members have access to BlueCross BlueShield Global Core. This provides access to a network of providers worldwide — offering ease of mind while traveling.
- Fees vary based on the customer’s age and previous tobacco use.
- If shopping for a family, you must submit each person’s age to gain an accurate price estimate.
- Your costs will differ depending on the plan type since each offers different benefits.
- The benefits and costs displayed in the plan summaries represent care from in-network providers — visiting out-of-network specialists may entail higher fees.
- With HMSA’s online care, you can see a doctor 24/7 using your smartphone or tablet.
- Various plans, such as HMSA365, offer exclusive discounts on products and services.
- Offers Catastrophic, Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum plans.
- Includes options for Medicare Advantage plans and Quest Integration.
- Allows you to view estimated costs without imputing a wide range of personal information — you only need to list your age.
- The website design is easy to navigate.
- Bronze plans have high deductibles.
- Waiting periods may apply to some benefits and services.
- HMSA updates its plans every year.
How to Choose Affordable Health Insurance in Hawaii
Now that you know three providers of the most affordable health insurance in Hawaii, it’s time to narrow your options. To gain an accurate pricing estimate, you’ll need to input personal data into each website. From there, it would help to compare the benefits of each provider with their subsequent cost. The number of in-network doctors and facilities will vary depending on your location. Remember to choose what is right for you and your family — the plan you select should match your health care needs.